The Energys Guide: Frequently asked questions about LED lighting for schools
At Energys Group, we have helped hundreds of schools save money and reduce their carbon footprint by upgrading their old, inefficient lighting to the latest energy saving solutions.
For schools considering making the switch to LED lighting, here is our guide to the most frequently asked questions.
1. LEDs are more expensive than traditional lighting – are they worth it?
Yes. LEDs consume far less energy (saving up to 70% on energy use) meaning that payback can be achieved in a much shorter amount of time than fluorescent or incandescent lighting – typically less than 3 years.
LEDs also have a much longer life expectancy than traditional fluorescent or incandescent lighting even when compared to the latest T5 technology. LEDs can last up to 10 times longer than traditional options.
2. Are all LEDs the same? Shouldn’t I just go with the cheapest quote?
Not all LEDS on the market are the same – there are a lot of suppliers out there providing differing quality LEDs over a broad pricing range.
This vast range of products makes selecting the correct product for your application very difficult. Without the correct product the result may be that you don’t get the outcome you should be getting in terms of light output, quality, colour or lamp life.
As an LED manufacturer, our LED products offer high quality as standard, with low glare, even light distribution, excellent colour and over 50,000 hours life expectancy, all backed with our 5 year product guarantee.
3. Will LED lighting reduce my maintenance costs?
The long life of LED fixtures (50,000 hours) also massively reduces the costs and disruption associated with maintenance – making them even more cost-efficient.
4. Don’t LED lights give off a cold colour?
Not necessarily. In fact, LEDs offer a whole range of colour options to suit your space – be it warm white, daylight, or a cooler tone. Our team has a lot of experience working with schools and can advise you on the best ‘colour temperature’ for your application – whether it’s a classroom, office or sports hall.
5. Don’t LEDs cause more glare than traditional lighting?
While poorer quality LEDs can cause glare, our products have been designed specifically to address this issue. Our LED solutions for schools keep glare to an absolute minimum, particularly important in areas with high glare potential such as sports halls and ICT rooms.
6. LEDs are coming down in price – is it worth me waiting a few more years?
The price of LEDs has reduced considerably over the last few years to the point we are now. Only small further reductions and/or technology upgrades are currently being introduced as the technology becomes more and more mature.
It’s also important to factor in the ‘cost of inaction’ while you wait. Installing LEDs now will start to deliver energy savings straight away, whereas as you wait your less efficient lighting is costing you money.
We typically see investment in school LED upgrades pay for themselves in less than 3 years.
7. I’ve heard that LEDs aren’t bright enough – is that true?
No – we use our industry experience to ensure that the replacement LED product specified will provide superior lighting output, performance and uniformity to your existing lighting while still providing the maximum energy savings.
8. Are the LED fittings direct replacements for the existing lighting?
Yes – we use direct replacements both in terms of lighting performance and form & fit.
This ensures that minimal disruption is caused during the installation.
LED Lighting for schools: choosing the right supplier
1. Have your staff been DBS-checked?
Yes, our installation staff will have already undergone DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checks – so they can get on with the job straight away.
2. Do you have experience in providing lighting to schools?
3. How do I know that you are going to be around for the full warranty period?
Energys Group has a solid reputation within the schools sector; since our company was founded 10 years ago we have helped hundreds of schools reduce their energy bills with energy efficient technologies. We would be happy to provide you with references; read our case studies for testimonials.
Funding for LED lighting upgrades
1. You offer a leasing arrangement option to finance the lighting upgrade – how does it work?
We offer a lease package in partnership with Utility Rentals, which enables schools to press on with their lighting projects now, with no upfront capital required. Rentals can be structured over a 3 or 5 year period, depending on what suits your school the most. And all installation and ongoing maintenance charges can also be spread over the rental.
The lease package includes a 5 year parts warranty as standard so you have comfort in knowing that if so much as a light bulb fails within that period, your school will not have to pay a penny to replace it.
Flexible payment profiles are available – payments can be made annually or quarterly and can be structured to match your school’s budget.
2. What are the benefits of a leasing arrangement, rather than paying for the lighting upfront?
- There is no upfront capital outlay required.
- You pay as you save – in most cases, the savings on electricity bills will outweigh the lease cost.
- Your revenue budget can be used, freeing up your capital budget for other uses within the school.
- Payments are fixed for the term of the lease, offering protection against inflation.
- The operating lease is designed for the education sector and compliant with IAS17.
- At the end of your rental agreement, you can upgrade your lighting again, to the latest technology: and seamlessly continue paying the same annual/quarterly fee out of your revenue budget.
Do you have a school lighting question that we didn’t answer? For help and advice on upgrading your school lighting, contact us.
New MEES guidance promises vast improvements for energy efficiency in commercial buildings
The Energys explainer: How can warehouse LED lighting boost profits?
How to save energy in schools: a guide for school governors
Have a question?+44(0)1403 786212